Friday 4 December 2009

Intro to Games Art: UV Unwrapping & Texturing

I've been looking forward to learning how to UV unwrap stuff and for my recent project I got to do just that! :D

The project was "Intro to Games Art" and I had to design and UV unwrap 2 Crates & 2 Barrels for props to fit into a game ... The project was to learn about texturing, and taking those textures and wrapping them onto a 3D modelled object

To be honest the first thing I thought was "Crates? Barrels? This sounds boring!" but after doing some designs I thought ... "I could make this interesting" :)

Although in the brief it said Crates & Barrels, as long as the objects were Cylinder or Cube shaped I could design whatever prop I liked (as long as it wasn't too over the top like a building) ... so I decided to design something a bit more interesting than just a plane crate and barrel!

....................

Here are some quick designs for my Crates and Barrels:



I decided to go for something a bit more interesting to push myself with this project, so I chose to do a Gothic Box and a Graffiti Wall for my 'Crates' and for my 'Barrels' I chose to do a Rusty Fireplace and a Futuristic Stereo with overgrowth :)
Making these objects pushed me to play around more with the textures, which then inevitably taught me more about Photoshop and texturing techniques!


Here are my initial Turnarounds for my objects:

Gothic Box:


Graffiti Wall:


Fireplace:


Futuristic Stereo:


....................

Using my turnarounds as reference I made my textures on Photoshop and wrapped them around my objects I built in 3Ds Max ... but they look flat!
To get the textures looking more 3D and bumpy I used 2 types of techniques.
The first was a "Previous Gen" technique of making it look 3D by creating a Bump and Specular Map on Photoshop by playing around with the Levels, Curves, and other Adjustment Tools.
The second was a "Next Gen" technique of making it look 3D. I used a programme called 'Crazy Bump.' Using this programme I created a Normal Bump Map and a Specular Map by taking the individual layers of textures from Photoshop onto Crazy Bump, making these maps, then layering them back on top of each other again in Photoshop. It took more time than the Previous Gen technique and was more fiddly but it adds a real nice finish to the object.

I noticed that with the Next Gen technique the object has more shadow and it kinda looks more 3D, but the Previous Gen technique shows more bump ... maybe I just wasn't doing it properly, but whatever ... I like both techniques for different reasons :)

I had LOTS of fun on this project and I'm looking forward to doing it again!

....................


Here are my Final Rendered Turnarounds using both "Previous Gen" and "Next Gen" bump techniques. I also have some close up images of my objects to show the renders off a bit more:


Gothic Box:











Graffiti Wall:











Fireplace:











Futuristic Stereo:










No comments:

Post a Comment