Sunday 14 March 2010

Advanced Tech: Character Modelling

Advanced Tech has come again ... this time it's part 4,5,6.
If I had to describe the project in 1 word i would say ... STRESS!
But, it's crazy how much I've learnt from an intense 3 week project ... so the stress was worth it I guess :)

This Advanced Tech was all about Character Modelling.
We learnt how to properly Model a character from a box, Texture with UV Unwraps and Rig it with bones.
I decided to build my Monster character from my Advert so that I didn't have to worry about building him through the Production stages of the project.

To get the marks I needed to pass the project I needed to give him 3 different textures which would show off the different bump and specular maps ... so that's why he has some crazy tank top thing going on and a metal arm! He will NOT be looking like this in my Advert haha!
I UV Unwrapped his body, then did a projection map for his smoky skin and used the UVW Map to create the tank top and metal textures on Photoshop. I used Photoshop to create the Bump Maps and Crazy Bump to create the Normal Maps


Bump Map:


Normal Map:


Rigging was FUN! *add sarcasm here*
It's such a pain in the ass to create a rig and get it to deform nicely with Skin Modifier!
This was the most stressful part of the project, but I'm really glad we were taught how to rig a character because now I know how to do it, and I can use it again :)

All in all Advanced Tech was ridiculously stressful and intense! But, it was totally worth it considering the amount of stuff I learnt!
Sooo ... Advanced Tech = WIN! (but stressful!)


Here's everything put together in 1 nice video with a character pose at the end:

Monster Turnaround from Aled Matthews on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment